January 15, 2009

Small Towns



A friend of mine once told me about the Small Town Syndrome. It is part of the reason why she wants to leave as soon as she gets the chance. As sad as I am that she wants to leave, I can somewhat understand why - esp. after she explained. Where I live isn't very small, but after living her for almost 20 years, the view from where I stand is rather bleak. I know I previously posted about the "beauty of the world" and this somewhat contradicts that, but I was speaking more for the general beauty of everything rather than the stagnant feeling of the constant cycle that is ... "my life here in Surrey". Yes, I understand why she'd want to leave.

In small towns, everyone is connected by someone else. I find that I get mad at the same people for the same things every other month or even year. I find that attractions can go so far as the back of one's hand, which is why you have results such as bestfriends ex's dating other best friend's sister's ex's brother. And once you get bored there is also a constant search for "someone new" which often results in, as you may guess, ex's brothers best friend's sister's friend's friend of another friend who's brother also had a thing for you way back when in the day and so on and so forth. I mean to think, the next guy/girl you kiss might have used to like your bestfriend, your ate, your kuya! Friends become enemies who become friends again. Groups change, cliques form, people "hate", cliques break, people phase out and find new groups all over again. Same 'ol story, different people. Same people, different story. It goes on. Been there and done that. And I call this place home? *sigh*

It might not be your typical "small town",
but the conventions are definitely there.

1 comment:

  1. Wow... whoever enlightened you must be sooo smart! hahahahaha! Don't worry, you ALWAYS have the option of leaving too (or following me to NY)! Anyway, this was really well written. It totally encompassed everything I felt.

    ReplyDelete